The first of a number of passions which consume Steve's time.
Steve is an RYA Dinghy Coach, Level 2 Race Coach and Powerboat Instructor as well as club Principal and Senior Instructor. Steve is also working towards Regional Race Officer and Judge status.
Steve has previously been club Commodore at Kielder Water SC and is currently RYA North East Committee Chairman, also sitting on the RYA Council. In 2013 Steve sat on the RYA Honours and Awards Committee.
In this section of the website you will be able to access everything Steve provide's in relation to his Coaching activities. Some information will be password protected and available only to those attending courses which Steve runs.
Choose a menu link to find out more.
Here are a number of useful background resources in support of the RYA Senior Instructor Course. They are designed to provide potential SIs with some background reading in a number of topics and act as a set of resources to draw upon in the future. Sources are the RYA website, Wavelength, Phil Twining, Suzie Blair (ex RDO) and previous National Coaches. Most files are small but one or two are up to 2MB in size and one is indicated as very large.
The Senior Instructor:
- An Introduction to the RYA Senior Instructor
- More Flexibility for Senior Instructors
- Senior Instructor Training
- SI Leadership Skills and Learning Styles
- The SI - Principal / Chief Instructor / Senior Instructor?
- Assistant Instructor Training
- Leadership Checklist
- Managing Challenging Behaviour
- Personal Development Profile
- 5 steps to Risk Assessment
- Patrol Boat Checklist - adapt to your centre/environment
- Mini Risk Assessment and Activity Log
- 10 Tips for teaching people with disabilities
- RYA Sailability Advice for Instructors
- Helping out RYA Sailability (this file is large at 14MB)
- The Advanced Racing Syllabus
- The Intermediate Racing Syllabus
- Start Racing Syllabus
- Teaching Day Sailing
- Running the Day Sailing Course
- MOB Recovery
- Basic Rig Setup table
- Teaching Basic Rig Setup
- Teaching Boat Control
- Teaching Roll Gybing
- Teaching Roll Tacking
Emergencies and First Aid:
- Catastophe Clinic
- Cold shock, hypothermia and drowning
- Dealing with Head Injuries
- Dealing with a major incident